atw: Re: Fields of Tech Communication

  • From: Ilana Cohney <Ilana.Cohney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:59:13 +1100

Hi all,
Not exactly the same topic but I also am considering a  work change.
Over the years I have been mainly working in a series of permanent
positions for both IT and non-IT orgnisations.  I have been in my
current position for two years.  I seems that after a couple of years in
an orgnisation, the profile and worth of the technical writer is much
less than it was at the beginning.  When I commence a new job there is
usually much appreciation that at last there is someone who can actually
write to take over all those pesky documents and Help projects.  After a
year or two the core system, online and procedure documents have been
written and (in my experience) the writer goes into "maintenance" mode.
This means that you are no longer seen as an important asset to the
company.  As was so innocently put to me by my boss last week, "In our
experience, no-one actually uses the online Help anyway!" After all
documentation does not actually generate revenue for the business like
programming or project management does!

My question actually is, how difficult is it to actually make a decent
living out of contract work?  At the moment, it certainly looks more
appealing to me than dealing with another lot of patronising,
unappreciative ....need I say more...  set of bosses.  My problem is
that when I am looking for work, I panic and accept a permanent job and
its security because the thought of starving does not appeal much
either.  Those of you contractors, do you find the constant job search a
real grind or do the benefits outweigh the negatives of a permanent
position?
Ilana