atw: Documentation Plan

  • From: "Daniel Oliver" <Daniel.Oliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:50:25 +1000

Hi All,
I have just taken up my first full time Tech Writer position and I have to
create a document plan.  The problem is the current documentation is very out
dated, hard to follow and is not process driven. Management believe it is
process driven and think that the clients like it.  I know this to be untrue as
I have informally spoken to several clients, but a formal survey conducted by
management to a few clients, did not support my theory. My opinions and that of
the support and sales department and not enough to convince the powers that be
that we know what clients want.

Currently I am expected to fill in the gaps and add new material of the recent
changes, this is supposed to make the clients happy. However other managers
have suggested I create document plan with a more extensive survey, sounds
good.  But they want me to produce a plan of the various documentation 'paths'
and improvements the clients may suggest before I even start writing the
survey. Then based on the results follow the correct path as outlined in the
documentation plan.

What thoughts/suggestions do you have for creating multiple documentation paths
other than updating the old manual and creating a new process driven one,
without client input?

Thanks,
Daniel Oliver
Softlink Australia