atw: Dear, Sir or ,Madam

  • From: Graeme Foster <gfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 18:37:10 +1000

Dear, dear. Oh, dear. Or something. Hey Y'all.

How about the approach of  To (Fred Smith). This clarifies exactly to whom the
item is addressed - an issue with written communications. If you don't know or
don't care - just start. Why dear, dearest, beloved yada? No benefit, all risk
of offending.  If you do elect for salutation, perhaps avoid 'Dear Graeme
Foster', or Dear Foster, or Dear Graeme John, or or Dear Foster, or (today's
fave!) Dear Gram Forst (wow, all in the mail today!), or as I once received,
Dear 2364 (I don't mind being a number, but I must be number one). Use common
sense. It beggars belief that I still get letters from lawyers addressed "Dear
Madam'. One presumes that the problem is worse for women (Dear Sir/Dear Sirs or
worsterest Dear Madam). That surely has to be a $37m offence.

Using 'To ......'  avoids Dear ..., dearest..., my beloved..., my esteemed
correspondent... blah. 'Hi' seems ok in these informal but insincere times
(Dear Kevin, Dearest Julia). They all have their places, but use them only if
you know what the conventions are, and you are reasonably sure your
correspondents know them. I bridle a bit at 'Hey' in a formal business
communication but!

The war of language has entered a new and dire phase.  We are drowning on the
beaches. Gowers (Mr Plain Words) didn't know he existed - try to understand any
curriculum document, or (God help you) any Centrelink document (Clear? ummm
Complete? ummmm. Concise? Well, probably, but once they go over a few hundred
pages they sometimes remove all formatting and spaces to 'save paper'. Only a
cynic like me would say to make it harder to deal with the issue on the
customer's part. Correct? Well, only if it suits us, and not if we can embarass
or harass you).   The war of Plain English is over - it was lost. Read Don
Watson's books.  I didn't think much of his thesis, but look at the
multiplicity of examples he gives. That is our brave new world, moving forward.

Cheers, honeybunses

Gra Gra

(One apologises for the offence given in advance - no correspondence entered
into. Do not pass Go, go directly to the vilification authorities).