atw: Consultancy vs contracting

  • From: "Christine Birtley-Kent" <birtley_kent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:30:09 +1000

Hi All

Thanks to the four people who responded to my previous requests.

One observation I have made regarding the materials we use to promote our
skill set, is that they focus is on our skills as employees or contractors -
that is - on the skills we have at producing materials according to
pre-determined specifications.  Not a single response covered our skills as
consultants - that is - our skills to analyse business needs, design
creative solutions, manage communication processes, manage development
processes etc etc.

Whenever we are looking at our job we seem to miss the consultation,
advisory and management services component - we don't seem to see ourselves
in this light.

Is there a job role in our industry of 'independent consultant' or
'freelance consultant'?  We can perform the role under the guise of one of
the existing consultancies, but is there anyone out there who is functioning
successfully as an 'independent' consultant?  That is, sourcing their own
work, (not sourcing work for others), doing that work in an advisory
capacity, making recommendations etc etc.

I am trying to develop a way of presenting our consultation and management
skills as part and parcel of our 'doing' skills - but I am finding I simply
lack the conceptual language to do so.

Any ideas?

Regards, Christine

Ph: +61 7 4958 3107