atw: Casual trainers to deliver two-day technical writing, scientific writing and business writing courses

  • From: "Geoffrey Marnell" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:53:22 +1100

Hi austechies,

I'm looking for two, and possibly more, writers to help me deliver training
courses throughout 2010 (starting in February). Ideally, I'd like one writer
to deliver courses in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, and another to deliver
courses in Canberra, Sydney and Brisbane. However, I am willing to consider
smaller territories, and even one-city territories. (Thus I'd be willing to
consider, as possibilities, someone who will deliver courses just in Perth,
or just in Canberra and Sydney.)

I would expect you to use the course materials already developed (training
workbooks and presentation slides) and thus you will need to master their
contents before your initial delivery. If necessary, training will be
offered (preferably by way of you sitting in on one or more of my classes).

The courses primarily concentrate on language and methodologies, not tools
and technologies. Thus their delivery would favour the language buff over
the VBA macro buff or DITA buff. Moreover, their focus is on communication,
contemporary communication, not on the rigid application of so-called rules
of syntax, punctuation and the like. So if you think that, say, Lynne Truss
has made a valuable contribution to the practice of communication, or think
that a sentence must never start with and or end with a preposition, then
this opportunity is not for you.

Three courses are on offer: technical writing, scientific writing and
business writing. There is much overlap in content between the three, and
little effort needed to master the course-specific material in each.
However, if you are interested in delivering, say, the technical writing
course but not the others, that's fine. I'd still be interested in hearing
from you. You can get an idea of the content of a course by downloading the
corresponding brochure from http://courses.abelard.com.au.

Depending on the territory, and courses sought, there could be between two
and six days a month of training per trainer. Abelard will look after
bookings, venue hire and participant materials, and pay you a commission
based on the number of bookings in each course.

Give me a call if you're interested in pursuing this further (but not today,
Monday).

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell
Principal Consultant