atw: Basic, advanced, or something else (Was: Discrimination)

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <slb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austechwriter <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 08:16:22 +0800 (WST)

Jasmine said:
> When i've been a training coordinator and run software apps
> training, i have always chosen to name the courses based on
> the features covered rather than the 'level'. They tend to be
> shorter sessions and some would list specific prerequisites
> (skills or training). Makes for more interesting sessions.

That's a good point, Jasmine. We tend to label a less-used feature such as the
equation editor as 'advanced', but either you need to use it or you don't.

A Word course suitable for students might include equations plus word count,
footnotes, citations and graphics. A course for general small-business admin
wouldn't need any of those use but might cover mail merge and autotext. A
course for TWs would cover all the good stuff--templates, styles,
troubleshooting, document automation, tables and indexes, master docs, and so
on. But that doesn't make it advanced. For a TW it's fundamental. For other
people , it's mostly obscure or irrelevant.

Stuart