atw: Adobe products and hard-to-use software WAS Re: Online form advice

  • From: Howard Silcock <howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 13:18:58 +1000

Christine said

> I tend to avoid all Adobe applications of every kind because if they can
make something difficult, they will.  Sheer prejudice of course

I don't think this is really sheer prejudice. It'd be fairly easy to make a
reasoned case for "if they can make something difficult, they will". And
their online help is awful. And trying to find your way around their
website is a nightmarish experience.
*But* their products do have a lot to offer and, much as I'd like to
boycott them, I keep coming back simply because they let you do things that
other products don't. Who can match Dreamweaver or Photoshop?

Besides, as a technical writer, mastery of these hard-to-use products is an
asset for your employment prospects. If your client or employer is
providing the tools for your documentation, they may not provide the ones
you prefer to use - and often they may take your skill with their tools
into account when deciding whether to use you. What's more, if your work
involves documenting software, you may find the software you're documenting
is not only awful to use but has no existing user-oriented documentation at
all - which is why they employed you. In other words, *you* will be the one
charged with making the software *less *hard to use for the end users and
overcoming its difficulty becomes a challenge by which you can prove your
value as a tech writer.

So I guess what I'm really saying is that bad software could be a good
thing for us tech writers! (Don't take that too literally - most of us
wouldn't want to work for people who want their documentation to make their
software look better than it is, which certainly does happen.)
Howard