[austechwriter] Re: Security & privacy

  • From: "Donald Halley" <donald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:17:34 +0930

Due to the costs involved most ISPs prefer to issue users with a dynamic =
IP address which is usually issued by a DHCP server.
It is probably more secure as the user doesn't have the same IP address =
twice.
This suits most users as setting up the IP address, gateway and DNS =
settings is way beyond them.
When configuring a router with a dynamic IP address you simply select =
the option to be allocated IP address automatically.
With Telstra cable you are generally issued with an IP address which =
will only change if you turn off the device that is connected to =
Telstra.
The only reason to have a static IP address is if you are setting up a =
VPN or wish to host your own website.

Donald Halley