[austechwriter] Re: Program and programme

  • From: "Michael Lewis" <mlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 18:35:16 +1000

Ted Briggs:

> Also, I came across this, which seems to be a fairly
> comprehensive list of the differences between UK and North
> American English spellilng, grammar and procunciation:
> http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_Differences
> Haven't read it yet, and I don't know how credible it is. Has
> anyone come across it before? If it's any good, it might be a
> useful resource for anyone on this side of the pond who has to
> write for American audiences.

I wouldn't take it as pure gospel -- there are a few things that strike me
as over-generalised, in the descriptions of both UK and US English. And I'd
say that it assumes too close a correspondence between Australian and UK
English -- true most of the time, of course, but they aren't a perfect
match. Still, it seems pretty close to what I know of US English. (I
correspond regularly with residents from the mid west, the south west, the
west coast, and Alaska, and I usually manage to make myself understood, but
there are regional variations that continue to puzzle me.) So certainly it
would be useful for anyone in Australia writing for a US audience.
Generally, though, I'd advocate backing it up with one of the major US
dictionaries (Merriam-Webster or American Heritage, both of which are
available online).

Michael Lewis

Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia
http://www.brandle.com.au