[austechwriter] Re: Outline numbering using user-defined styles

  • From: "Rod Ward" <rod.w@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 14:39:51 +0800

Petra,

Don't celebrate too soon.=20

Your numbering may work OK on your own system but this is not a
guarantee that it will work flawlessly on someone else's PC if you
happen to send the document to them.=20

Word numbering is notoriously buggy due to the way that it used number
list galleries that can be differently configured on other PCs. Many
techwriters (myself included) have given up on trying to get Word to
behave with its default list numbering method and choose to use
field-based numbering instead with macros set up to slot in the SEQ
fields and styles at the flick of a keystroke. You need one SEQ field
set up to begin a series of numbers and another one for all subsequent
items. This method ensures that the numbers will be unchanged on another
PC. You can also unlink the fields to "freeze" the numbering in place.

If you still wish to run with Word's own number gallery system, to
reduce your pain I would advise against using Normal as your base style
since this can vary depending on how it is configured in the underlying
global template (Normal.dot) resident on the PC at the time. I tend to
base all of my styles on a uniquely named style which I create. Since
this style will be unknown to all other PCs I find that Word takes one
look at it and then leaves it alone since it doesn't match up with any
of the default-named styles it knows about. Having none of my styles
based on the default Normal style has saved me a lot of annoyance over
the years.

Regards

Rod Ward.