[austechwriter] Interesting comment about the Opera browser for mobile phones.

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 07:45:47 +1000

Dear fellow Austechwriters,

No doubt you've seen me champion the Opera Web browser, from
<http://www.opera.com> , for your personal computer on this list before
(although I have no financial interest in that company or its products).

Now I would also like to draw your attention to the availability of the
Opera browser for mobile phones and PDAs, with the following extract from
The Astor Theatre Web site.

Published @ <http://www.astor-theatre.com/info/astor-www-mobile.html>
>The Astor Calendar On Your Mobile
>
>The Astor Theatre web-site has been optimised as far as possible for
>display on the small screens of handheld devices such as mobile 'phones
>and connected PDAs that have web-browsing capabilities.
>
>In truth, there was not a great deal that needed to be done - just the odd
>tweak here and there to cater for known display-idiosyncrasies of various
>browsers.
>
>The screen-shots on this page show the Opera browser displaying pages on a
>Sony-Ericsson P800 but this does not imply that only Opera is suitable -
>that would be contrary to our policy of making sure that this web-site is
>accessible using any browser.
>
>However, testing of various browsers on different platforms did show that
>Opera's speed and small-screen rendition was generally superior to
>anything else available at the time of writing. It is available for most
>platforms.

For those of you who reside in or visit Melbourne, I also wholeheartedly
recommend that you see a movie double at The Astor Theatre, a restored Art
Deco cinema at the corner of Chapel Street & the Princes Highway, Windsor.

It has the best widescreen (70mm) and surround setup you could ask for (and
fab home made cakes, choc ices and brewed coffee ...and tickets - even
prepaid in bulk - at fair prices).  No, I don't have a financial interest
in that either.

For more, see: <http://www.astor-theatre.com/>.  Get in touch and they'll
mail you a poster (just quietly, the greatest free promotional "wrapping
paper" in the known Universe.  Bunches available at the door.).

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas