[austechwriter] Re: Footers in Word: Is look-ahead possible?

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:41:04 +1000

Well excuse me, Steve.

All I was doing was acknowledging that Word and the WinDoze platform on
which it (mostly) runs have some limitations.

I'm not trying to be a Framemaker, flame-maker here, but anything with only
one level of undo should never be seriously considered as a usable tool for
any purpose.  Get real, Adobe!

Acknowledging Word's secretarial prowess doesn't make it a lesser
documentation tool.  In fact many of the secretarial features are what make
it such a good and versatile word processor.  It's just that Word is simply
not accurate enough (or object oriented enough) for serious desktop
publishing work, where type size output accuracy, overlays with varying
levels of transparency and colour separations control is required.

In most cases, the relationships between WinDoze display, printer and other
device drivers is simply not good enough to provide any semblance of
accuracy in the output, no matter what software application one is using.

Measure the type size that prints compared to the type size that Word and
WinDoze tells you it is and you'll see what I mean.

As I said, I like using Word for many things, but I am realistic enough to
recognize its limitations so that I don't make promises to a client, about
what can be done with that tool, which either cannot be kept or cannot be
readily achieved without making a ridiculous and brain-warping effort that
can have negative impacts on the delivery of the finished product and the
stability of its files.

Word is a great and versatile word processing application, albeit with some
serious limitations.

It simply cannot be all things to all people.  To try an make it be that is
akin to beating one's head against the screen.

Regards,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas
Carnegie, Victoria, Australia.