[austechwriter] Re: Any indexers lurking out there?

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:30:52 +0800

On the Aust. Society of Indexers site
(http://www.aussi.org/profissues/rates.htm) there's this recommended hourly
rate:

   The National Committee issued the following statement on 31 October
   2001, to take effect immediately:

   "The Australian Society of Indexers recommends that the minimum hourly
   rate of pay for freelance, self-supporting, registered book indexers,
   working on short-term contracts, be $44.00 per hour, excluding GST.

The American Society of Indexers site has a longish discussion under the
heading 'How do indexers price their services?'
(http://www.asindexing.org/site/indfaq.shtml#FAQ1010) but doesn't quote an
actual per-page or per-hour rate.

As I understand it you probably wouldn't get a general per-page figure,
because it depends so much on the type of material. When you're ready to
get quotes I assume each indexer would look at a sample of the material and
submit a per-page quote and a total for the job.

I suggest you have a look around the AusSI site, in particular: 'Guide for
Clients' and 'Indexers Available'.

Regards

---
Stuart Burnfield