[austechwriter] Re: Sec Unclassified: Document Version Control Tool

  • From: mhalter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:39:27 +1100

Hi Diana,
Firstly, yes - our company makes Content Management Systems (CMS). That
said, we designed ours after spending years installing CMS systems for
both vendors and customers, and we designed out the issues we found. It's
these points (I believe) you need to be aware of:

- Big is not always better. Before going for a large system, ensure you
know exactly what features you need (Hey, that's why you posted your
question!). Only buy what you really need, bearing in mind future
direction. There is little point in spending many, many thousands of
dollars if you want to Check in > Check out content.

- Open systems.  Our System, R4i is 100% XML/SGML compliant (as well as
all other file types), and will scale to around 100 people. Data is stored
in a MS SQL database.  Want to move systems? Sure.. right mouse button >
export.  A lot of small systems are still very propriety, and you end up
staying with a painful system, because it's just to have to move to
something else.

- You need to decide if, and to what level, method of work flow you want.
The gap between simple and complex workflow capabilities on CMS products
is gauged in thousands of dollars.

-  Lastly. If you want to check in > check out content to address the
"show me document XXX as it was on the 23/5/02" issue, then you have many
choices.  If you want to nice things such as single source publishing
(using XML or SGML) from your CMS, the market does narrow a bit.

- Get a turn key, out of the box system if you can, unless you have some
expanded requirements. There is little point spending 5K on the software,
only to spend 20K before you can put anything in it. (Our CMS - 5K per
CPU, up and running in 40 minutes, rock solid) Once your a CMS veteran,
then you can go shopping for "the one" if you need something bigger.

Oh, on Notes... I have seen nothing but misery over the last 6 year where
people have used Notes as a CMS. I believe it's the worlds best email
server, but as a  CMS... you can't get anything out of it if you want to
move, it's a major pain to connect other systems, or to change it, without
a $210 per hour Notes consultant (my opinion only).

Hope this helps,

Mike

Michael Halter
Absolute Data Group Pty Ltd
Ph. 61 7 3832 6888
Fx. 61 7 3832 6999
Mobile. 61 7 0404 867 351
www.absolutedata.com.au
<Write IT Once></Take IT Anywhere>

"Muzrimas, Diana MS" <Diana.Muzrimas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
09/07/2003 04:46 PM
Please respond to austechwriter

        To:     "'austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        [austechwriter] Sec Unclassified: Document Version
Control Tool

My current employer uses Lotus Domino.Doc as the definitive tool for
storage
and version control of documentation. (Version 4, I think). I don't find
it
very intuitive and it's difficult to use - Although, this could partly be
due to modifications made during the installation for security reasons and
the fact that it can only be accessed through Lotus Notes, and not through
Windows-NT Explorer, or Internet Explorer.
(In the past I have also used MS Visual Source Safe (VSS) as a version
control tool on some project assignments).

Does anyone have any feedback (pros/cons/issues/considerations) concerning
these or any other document version control tools?

Diana