[audacity4blind] Re: text envelope question

  • From: Steve the Fiddle <stevethefiddle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:20:28 +0100

The basic concept of a control point in the Text Envelope is that it
defines the amount of amplification at a given point in time.
This concept is the same as how control points work with the
(inaccessible) Envelope Tool.

An example:
If you have a track that is 5 seconds duration, then amplifying the
entire track by -6 dB (minus six dB) would result in reducing the
volume to about half.
Let's say that rather than reducing the volume of the entire 5 seconds
to half volume, you wanted to start the 5 second track at full volume
and for the volume to gradually decrease so that at the end of the 5
second track it was at half volume.
This can be accomplished by setting a control point at the beginning
of the track (time = 0) with the amplification amount set at 0 dB (no
change) and a second control point at the end of the track (time = 5
seconds) with the amplification set to -6 dB (half volume).

As the most commonly used control points are the start and end of the
selection, there are special text input boxes for these control
points.

"Initial Amplification" sets the control point at the start of the selection.
"Final Amplification" sets the control point at the end of the selection.
For these two control points it is only necessary to set the
amplification amount as the time element is defined by the selection.
If these boxes are left blank they default to 0 dB (no change).

The final text input box is for "Intermediate Control Points". That
is, control points that lie within the selection. Control points are
added here bay entering a pair of values. The first of the pair is the
time and the second is the amplification amount.

Does that help?

Steve