The problem is that when I am working with the two actual, long tracks - total of 02:49:xx upwards, then when I try shifting one of the tracks, it either doesn't shift it at all, or is doing something else - for example, tested shifting just one track in a project containing only that track, using the timeShift .ny plugin, and when I exported it, it came out with a length showing up as of over 8 hours long, when I then started playback in winamp, and don't think it had really shifted it's starting point as such - didn't seem to have in fact inserted any silence in at start like it states it should have.
What it comes down to is that have extracted just the audio from a movie file/clip, and want to then import another track of the narrated soundtrack of that same movie, but, audio only, and I then need/want to make sure that I have shifted the alignment of the second, narrated track to be as close to perfectly lined up/aligned with the original track, so that I can then export the combined audio clip, and I then use software called virtualDub to go and replace the movie clips original soundtrack with this new, combined one, to create/generate a full on visual movie output file, but including narration/audio description, etc. in it.
I will go double check that sync lock is turned off since would specifically not want to shift alignment of the one, original track, and thus only shift the alignment/playback starting point of the secondarily imported track, but that project I provided a download link for was merely a test project to make sure that the process that had used in past, with smaller/shorter track lengths was in fact operating/working like it had then - and it seemed to work fine, since I was quite easily able to shift the second, shorter track to a new alignment based on marking start of selection at a certain point, shifting cursor to line up with start of selection, and then aligning second track's starting point with the cursor position.
Have in any case, before handled this exact process a few times, using the selection, cursor, shift/align methodology, to handle alignment/mixing up with three other, shorter movie clip soundtracks - the longest one was roundabout 100 minutes long - and worked fine.
Honestly, am wondering if this is just a form of system overload or something causing this issue - partly since while trying this out on the longer files, my hard drive's free space dropped down from over 40Gb free to under 1Gb free, until I then closed the project, and it recovered the drive space, but anyway...?
Stay well Jacob Kruger Blind Biker Skype: BlindZA '...fate had broken his body, but not his spirit...'----- Original Message ----- From: "Gale Andrews" <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2013 9:55 PMSubject: [audacity4blind] Re: Still - Shifting/moving start time of one track relative to another
Jacob, I downloaded your project. Can you explain in simple terms what the problem is? You may want to choose Tracks > Sync-Lock Tracks. If that menu item is checked, then pasting into one track or moving audio in one track affects the other tracks so that the audio of the two tracks remains synchronized. If that item is unchecked then pasting into or moving one track does not affect the other tracks. Gale | From "Jacob Kruger" <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> | Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:04:08 +0200| Subject: [audacity4blind] Still - Shifting/moving start time of one track relative to anotherOk, tried my simple method of shifting starting point of one track, relative to starting point of all/another track on smaller test files, and it works fine:Anyway, the zip file above contains the test audacity project, along with two small test files I recorded using my microphone earlier, just for testing purposes, but, if you open the audacity project, you'll see that it worked perfectly when just told it to start selection at a specific point, told it to align cursor with selection start, turned off selection on first/primary track, turned it on for second track, and told audacity to align track with selection start.Thus, am, again, wondering, is it that my issue when working with actual data/files could have something to do with the size/length of the other two files..?Will also try out that timeShifter effect itself, but, would still like to know why one specific bit of data is affecting/changing the way audacity is performing/carrying out a task..?Also specifically tried first converting the original video clip into MP3 before importing it into audacity in case audacity's own import part of process could be affecting overall process, but anyway.The audacity4blind web site is at //www.freelists.org/webpage/audacity4blind Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives, Audacity keyboard commands, and more... To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with subject line unsubscribe
The audacity4blind web site is at //www.freelists.org/webpage/audacity4blind Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives, Audacity keyboard commands, and more... To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with subject line unsubscribe