[audacity4blind] Re: Still - Shifting/moving start time of one track relative to another

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 00:48:09 +0200

The problem is that when I am working with the two actual, long tracks - total of 02:49:xx upwards, then when I try shifting one of the tracks, it either doesn't shift it at all, or is doing something else - for example, tested shifting just one track in a project containing only that track, using the timeShift .ny plugin, and when I exported it, it came out with a length showing up as of over 8 hours long, when I then started playback in winamp, and don't think it had really shifted it's starting point as such - didn't seem to have in fact inserted any silence in at start like it states it should have.

What it comes down to is that have extracted just the audio from a movie file/clip, and want to then import another track of the narrated soundtrack of that same movie, but, audio only, and I then need/want to make sure that I have shifted the alignment of the second, narrated track to be as close to perfectly lined up/aligned with the original track, so that I can then export the combined audio clip, and I then use software called virtualDub to go and replace the movie clips original soundtrack with this new, combined one, to create/generate a full on visual movie output file, but including narration/audio description, etc. in it.

I will go double check that sync lock is turned off since would specifically not want to shift alignment of the one, original track, and thus only shift the alignment/playback starting point of the secondarily imported track, but that project I provided a download link for was merely a test project to make sure that the process that had used in past, with smaller/shorter track lengths was in fact operating/working like it had then - and it seemed to work fine, since I was quite easily able to shift the second, shorter track to a new alignment based on marking start of selection at a certain point, shifting cursor to line up with start of selection, and then aligning second track's starting point with the cursor position.

Have in any case, before handled this exact process a few times, using the selection, cursor, shift/align methodology, to handle alignment/mixing up with three other, shorter movie clip soundtracks - the longest one was roundabout 100 minutes long - and worked fine.

Honestly, am wondering if this is just a form of system overload or something causing this issue - partly since while trying this out on the longer files, my hard drive's free space dropped down from over 40Gb free to under 1Gb free, until I then closed the project, and it recovered the drive space, but anyway...?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA