[audacity4blind] Re: Recording spoken audio while listening to it from form of electronic script file on same PC

  • From: Jacob Kruger <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 13:54:52 +0200

I think you're right with regards to it being the cheap, internal sound card in this laptop.

Say that since when I transferred the audio clip of the text, generated using eSpeak utility, to an external MP3 player, and then listened to it using the sennheiser in-ear earphones, with them in fact then being inside the larger earphones, which were connected to the laptop, but, with NVDA's speech turned off, while recording through the larger earphones microphone, it was pretty much perfect.

Suppose it's also still possible there was some form of signal leakage along the lead from the laptop to the earphones/microphone setup, but, either way, this workaround seems somewhat feasible for now...<smile>

Thanks

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 2016-08-10 1:11 PM, Andrew Downie wrote:

 Hi Jacob

One of my favourite quotes: The only silly question is the one you didn't ask.

So to your dilemma. I got a bit lost with your assortment of microphone/headphones. All things being equal, which they obviously are not, using a microphone and well-fitting headphones should do what you want. I just did a test using an AKG microphone/earphones combination. The earphones fit snugly. With NVDA talking through the earphones at a comfortable level, I shadowed the speech (shadowing is the term for repeating what you hear). Even with the level of the recording turned up very high, I could not hear NVDA at all.

I repeated the exercise with a Rode lavelier mike, which is more likely to pick up unwanted noise due to its omnidirectional characteristics, together with a slightly more open set of headphones. A short sample is attached, with me reciting the start of this email (I hope attachments are allowed). I can hear birds from outside and the clock, but not NVDA.

I wonder whether, in keeping with your suspicion, there is some leakage through your sound card. If you have Audacity set to record through the mike input it shouldn't pick up the synthesizer through the card, but that may depend on your card. I am using a pretty good external mixer and, while not wanting to cast aspersions on your sound card, some internal ones these days are rather cheap in the worst sense of the word.

If you are still awake after all that, it seems like the first thing you have to establish is whether the synthesizer is being picked up through the mike or from within the computer. Your idea of recording onto an external device is one way of testing that theory. If you use well-fitting headphones connected to your external device and still hear the synthesizer on the recording your mike looks like being the culprit. In that case you could try a set of those in-ear earphones that block out far too much for my liking under most circumstances.

When you get the "too much information" issue sorted out, NVDA's facility where pressing the shift key pauses and restarts output could be most valuable.

Let me know how you get on.

Andrew

On 9/08/2016 10:19 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:

Silly question - I know it is - but, if I want to record myself reading contents of a text file, was playing around with using a set of earphones, with a built-in boom microphone, that have largish earpieces that cover your ears completely, and trying to then actually not plug their output jack into the PC, but, while have the microphone plugged in to the machine's microphone socket, I then plugged some decent, sennheiser in-ear earphones into the output socket, and literally just wore the other, larger earphones over them, with the idea being that I could then record using the microphone and audacity, while reading the contents using NVDA, via the earphones, and sort of repeating it as I heard it.

This was since when initially tried using these earphones for both listening and recording, it was picking up quite a bit of the audio coming out through the earphones via the microphone.

Idea is thus, to sort of transcribe some text contents into spoken audio, but, the issue is that no matter if I set NVDA's output volume quite low, this microphone still seems to be picking it up - maybe it's picking up some of the electronic activity, volume levels notwithstanding.

Only other thing was still considering trying, for now, is to actually convert the synthesised speech into something like MP3, and then listen to it on a totally separate MP3 player, while still recording via the PC/laptop, but, just wondering if I am totally confused/mistaken, and is it likely that it's literally just that the microphone is actually recording the rendered audio output of the sennheiser earphones?

Alternatively, I might end up having to just pause between listening to each piece of content, before then speaking it myself, but, this would be a bit irritating, since would then need to step through whole recording, cutting out the pieces, bit by bit?

Thoughts/suggestions?

TIA

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."

The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with subject line