[audacity4blind] Re: Is this Audacity or my laptop?

  • From: John Ramm <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 08:17:39 +0100

Gail

Thanks for this.

I was thinking along the lines of there being some sort of effect, but if I go into the sigmatel audio setting inthe control pannel there just seems to be one tab called advanced, and within that there is only one checkbox labeled allow reconfiguration popups. I'm not really sure what this means but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I need.

In the control panel under system/device manager/sound and video controlers, I have six items.

Audio Codecs
Legacy audio drivers
legacy video capture devices
media control devices
Sigmatel high definition audio codec
video codecs

I've had a look in the Sigmatel high definition audio and the media control sections but can't see anything about effects.

I think I'll have a good look at updating, and thanks for the help so far.

Talk soon

John

At 01:14 07/08/2008, you wrote:

| From John Ramm <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
| Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:46:01 +0100
| Subject: [audacity4blind] Is this Audacity or my laptop?
> I am using audacity on a Dell Latitude D420 laptop runninb Windows XP
> Pro SP3 and I have a problem.
>
> I had recorded some music with audacity before with no problems, but
> recently I tried to record quite a hissy cassette onto the laptop and
> came across this problem. This tape was speech, but there was quite a
> lot of hiss. Everything was fine until the speaker paused for a
> couple of seconds. At this point the sound of the hiss disappeared,
> and there was no sound until the guy spoke again when he jumped out
> as though I'd set up a noise gate. from then on the noise gate affect
> continued whatever I did. I hadn't noticed this affect on music,
> probably because it didn't have gaps or noise in it like this speech did.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is some sort of problem with Audacity or
> with my onboard Sigmatel sound card and software.

I presume you are describing how the recording sounds when you
play it back in Audacity? I suggest you go into the Sigmatel control
panel and turn off the effects one by one and see if that identifies the
culprit.

If that isn't the problem, try updating the drivers of the Sigmatel
device:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Updating_Sound_Device_Drivers

I had just this problem on the inbuilt sound device of one of my Windows
machines a few years ago, but more recent drivers fixed it.

There is also a very slight possibility that SP3 itself has created a problem
- have you noticed the issue directly after installing SP3?  But I would
try the above two solutions first.

Gale

The audacity4blind website is at
http://users.northlc.com/sberry/