[audacity4blind] Re: Is this Audacity or my laptop?

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 01:14:22 +0100

| From John Ramm <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
| Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:46:01 +0100
| Subject: [audacity4blind] Is this Audacity or my laptop?
> I am using audacity on a Dell Latitude D420 laptop runninb Windows XP
> Pro SP3 and I have a problem.
>
> I had recorded some music with audacity before with no problems, but
> recently I tried to record quite a hissy cassette onto the laptop and
> came across this problem. This tape was speech, but there was quite a
> lot of hiss. Everything was fine until the speaker paused for a
> couple of seconds. At this point the sound of the hiss disappeared,
> and there was no sound until the guy spoke again when he jumped out
> as though I'd set up a noise gate. from then on the noise gate affect
> continued whatever I did. I hadn't noticed this affect on music,
> probably because it didn't have gaps or noise in it like this speech did.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is some sort of problem with Audacity or
> with my onboard Sigmatel sound card and software.

I presume you are describing how the recording sounds when you
play it back in Audacity? I suggest you go into the Sigmatel control
panel and turn off the effects one by one and see if that identifies the
culprit.

If that isn't the problem, try updating the drivers of the Sigmatel
device:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Updating_Sound_Device_Drivers

I had just this problem on the inbuilt sound device of one of my Windows
machines a few years ago, but more recent drivers fixed it.

There is also a very slight possibility that SP3 itself has created a problem
- have you noticed the issue directly after installing SP3?  But I would
try the above two solutions first.

Gale