[audacity4blind] Re: How to level up from threshold

  • From: "Orlando Enrique Fiol" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "ofiol" for DMARC)
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 11:02:19 -0400

At 06:49 AM 6/13/2020, Marlon Brand??o de Sousa wrote:
>I have a voice level track. The voice varies from, at the loudest -2 db to the lowest, say, -15 db.
>I need to amplify the parts lower than -10 db to -10 db. So everything lower than -10 db would need to be put at -10 db. Things louder than -10 db should remain untouched. Ideally, the threshold should have an inferior limit. So everything from say -15 from -10 db should be leveled to -10 db. Things louder than -10 db should be left as is and so for things lower than -15 db.
>>Is there any effect that will help me to do it automatically in audacity?

OYes indeed. The compressor that comes with audacity will do that just fine. there are also a few limiters in the NyQuist plugins section that installs with Audacity.
Under Preferences, Effects, take advantage of Audacity's ability to sort plugins in various ways: by most recently added, by manufacturer, by effect name, etc. If you sort by effect name, you could press alt+C from within the track panel for the effect menu, then press the letter C until you hear Compressor, or the letter L until you hear Limiter.
Even better, you can assign specific key bindings to any installed effect you want. So, if you find yourself using a compressor/limiter frequently, but don't want to bother navigating the effects menu, set up a key binding under Preferences, Keyboard. Whenever you press that key combination, you'll be put in that effect window, where you can change settings and apply the effect.
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. in Music Theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and Pedagogue
Charlotte, North Carolina
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090
Email: ofiol@xxxxxxxxxxx

The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with subject line