[audacity4blind] Detecting play/stop/pause/record state?

  • From: "Gary Campbell" <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 20:01:46 -0600

Hi,

I would like to be able to know whether Audacity is stopped, playing,
recording, or paused.  I can think of a couple ways of doing this.  One way
would be to have the JAWS script track the state of the program.  We would
have to trap every way that the state can change: SPACE, p, r, R, anything
else?  We would also have to trap when it stops when it finishes playing the
selection.  We might be able to do this by looking at the Audio Position on
the selection bar every half second or so and going to the stopped state if
it goes to zero.  This would correct the state within a half second if it
stopped for some reason other than a key press.  One problem case would be
if it stopped and, say, SPACE were pressed before the timeout.  Another
problem would be changes produced by clicking on toolbar buttons or menu
items.

Can anyone think of other things I would need to check for?

Another way would be to have Audacity tell us the state.  It could do this
by having an indicator that we could find on the screen, or it could have
something that the script could query programmatically, like an Automation
object.  This object might also provide other information like peak audio
recording level.  It might also be able to fire an event when, for instance,
the recording level went into the red, or above a user/script-specifiable
threshold.  This approach would make it easier for a JAWS script to
determine program state, and would make it easier to access for other screen
readers.

Another way would be to have the status displayed somehow on the screen, in
a place that could be easily and reliably found via the window structure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Gary Campbell