[audacity4blind] Re: Audacity only records for 2 minutes and 15 seconds

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 00:38:46 GMT

| From Mike Bernard <mbern6516@xxxxxxx>
| Mon, 18 Mar 2013 19:47:48 -0400 (EDT)
| Subject: [audacity4blind] Audacity only records for 2 minutes and 15 seconds
> I've just discovered something unusual with Audacity. I just recorded
> myself reading a book to test things out, and everything went fine, or
> at least I thought so. But when I plaied the recording back, I found
> that the tail end of my recording was cutoff because the recording
> stopped and I had only been recording for 2 minutes and 15 seconds. Why
> did the recording stop? Aren't we supposed to be able to record for a
> much longer time than that? I know it can't be due to disk space on my
> hard drive, if that were the case, I'm sure I would've gotten some sort of
> error
> or warning message from Windows.

You probably had a range selected.

If there is a range selected and Transport > Overdub (on/off)
is "on" (your screen reader reads it as "checked"), then the
recording is confined to the selection length. Overdub lets you
hear playback of existing tracks while recording another.

Otherwise you can record for as long as your disk space supports,
but with a limit of 13.5 hours at 44100 Hz (less time available at
higher sample rates) if you want to save these recordings as
projects. Please read:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Recording_length .