[astcq-discuss] messsage attachments & security

  • From: geoff@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: astcq-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:18:11 +1000

Hello Everybody,

Just a note about attachments.
By default, all binary attachments are removed from all posts.  This is a
security measure.  I have attached an rtf document to this message as a test -
maybe it will get through.

Why is the security necessary?
This list is open to all.  You must be a subscriber to post to the list, but
there is nothing stopping anyone from subscribing to the list.  A
spammer/skiddie/cracker can subscribe to the list and cause some serious
problems before I've had a chance to blacklist them.

About distributing information.
Not everyone is running Windows or Macintosh systems.  This means that not
everyone can read Word documents.  All information needs to be distributed in a
format that is useable by all.  RTF is a non-binary format that uses an open
standard (well, close enough) everyone can read.  Please try to use RTF.

If the file attached to this message is removed by the server, I'll have to
setup an FTP area on the web site.  Hopefully that won't be necessary.

Regards

Geoff

-- Type: text/richtext
-- File: Test attachment.rtf

To search the astcq-discuss archives, visit
//www.freelists.org/archives/astcq-discuss/

To change your settings using the web interface, login at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/

astcq-discuss-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx