[astcq-discuss] Re: Fw: Distributed authoring using Word and Domino?

  • From: "Nathan Howard" <nathan.howard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <astcq-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:05:58 +1000

Oh Gosh.... a spot of bad luck old chap.

After our last chat I've just finished a proposal for Enterprise
Author-IT over here and they want a demo before we go further.

I used to used Domino about 4 years ago and I understand it is
basically a glorified Lotus Notes program for document management, not
really for document development. Never really paid much attention to it.
One thing is for sure, it won't solve your single sourcing and
production time issues. You'll still need Author-IT or something for
that.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

>>> geoff@xxxxxxxxxxx 8/07/03 21:13:28 >>>
Must have had a bit of a glich.  This message didn't make it through on
the
original post.  Has anyone noticed messages going missing before?

Geoff

> Hello everyone,
>
> Well, I've just been given one from out of left field.  After
spending a
> considerable amount of time evaluating AuthorIT for our team, I've
been
asked
> to make a list of issues associated with a distributed authoring
environment
> using Word and Domino.
>
> I have an aversion to this system straight off the bat, but I thought
I'd
get
> some more opinions.  Here's what I've thought of without too much
effort:

> - Different versions of Word are used throughout the organisation.
We
already
> have problems with this, and expanding the writing team to 100 or so
writers
> around the world will just make it worse.  The potential for
document
> corruption from 100 different authors, each with a different skill
level,
using
> different versions of Word, just makes my head spin.
>
> - Images can't be linked.  We currently single-source our images
across
the
> entire document set, and placing our source documents on Domino will
prevent
> that.
>
> - Finalisation procedures will need to be extended.  With our small
team
(10),
> the time taken to 'finalise' our document set prior to distribution
is
only 10
> days.  With 90 writers potentially ignoring our standards and
procedures,
> finalisation will become a major task.  Instead of just checking for
errors, we
> will need to implement the standards on every document prior to
distribution.
> At 268 documents, that becomes a major chunk of time.
>
> - Our current, kludgy, time consuming work-arounds for re-purposing
would
still
> be required.
>
> - How would it be possible to ensure that every author used the
correct
> templates?  If the wrong templates are used, the finalisation
procedure
gets
> even longer due to layout, header, and footer problems.
>
> - Speed.  It already takes longer than 60 seconds to open a document
from
my
> local Domino server (Brisbane).  What about writers in Gallway,
Edmonton,
> Toronto, New Delhi, Eden Prairie...
>
> - Work/Team management becomes much harder.
>
> - A change to the standards (caused by customer feedback, of course)
becomes
> almost impossible to implement.
>
> - Development has some distribution, but most of it is done here in
Brisbane.
> We are R&D, with 99% of the coders, 85% of the analysts, and all the
> development team leaders.  Any urgent documents will have to be
written in
> Brisbane due to the different time zones between global writers and
local
> developers.
>

> If anyone has worked in a system like this before, or has any hints
and
> recommendations, I'd love to here your experiences.  Both good and
bad.

> Thanks for all your efforts.
>
> Geoff

Subject field.

To search the astcq-discuss archives, visit
//www.freelists.org/archives/astcq-discuss/

To change your settings using the web interface, login at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/

astcq-discuss-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Messages included in this e-mail and any of its attachments are those
of the author unless specifically stated to represent WorkCover Queensland. The
contents of this message are to be used for the intended purpose only and are
to be kept confidential at all times.
This message may contain privileged information directed only to the intended
addressee/s. Accidental receipt of this information should be deleted promptly
and the sender notified.
This e-mail has been scanned by Sophos for known viruses.
However, no warranty nor liability is implied in this respect.