[asialex] Re: In Memory of Adam Kilgarriff

  • From: Jack Halpern <jack@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: euralex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 13:58:19 +0900

Chu-Ren Huang wrote...

In our memory of Adam, we could also recall fondly how he described our
community in a report he wrote on AsiaLex 2014.

http://www.ari.nus.edu.sg/showfile.asp?eventfileid=147_review_adam.pdf

This Jack Halpern, head of the CJKI Dictionary Institute that specializes
in CJK and Arabic dictionary databases. Chu-Ren, thank you for sharing
the above report with us.

I have known Adam for about 15 years, and during that period had
the privilege in working with him as a colleague and spending time
together as friends at various lexicographic conference in China,
Singapore and others. I never failed to be amazed by the depth
and breadth of Adam's expertise regarding practical lexicography
and the amazing tools he has built.

I had the honor to work with him on some projects, and he provided
our institute us with a highly useful Chinese database. In our many
email exchanges, he always treated all technical issues in an
in-depth and serious matter and gave full answers to all questions.

I was truly shocked by his passing. It is a great loss for lexicography
in general and such a sad event for his many friends and colleagues.
We, the international community of lexicographers, will have to go
on without Adam. May he rest in peace.

Jack Halpern
CEO, CJK Dictionary Institute (Japan)
Compilers of large-scale CJK and Arabic dictionary databases
http://www.cjk.org Phone: +81-48-473-3508

* To unsubscribe from the ASIALEX Mailing List, go to
//www.freelists.org/list/asialex, enter your e-mail address in the "User
Options" box, choose the Unsubscribe option in the "Choose an action" dropdown
list, and press "Go!"