Re: [artworks] Text not appearing in PDF export

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:44:42 +0200

In message <896691354e.Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Chris Terran <chris.terranova@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can anyone explain why the large numbers don't appear when the following
> file is exported as a PDF?
>
>    http://www.roast.iconbar.com/misc/sun.zip   [8K archive]
>
> They only appear if "Export text as shapes" is ticked, which I'd rather
> not do. "[Embed] Even standard fonts" doesn't help -- the font is
> Homerton.Medium, which I think should map to Helvetica.

I have finally had a closer look at this problem. PDF export itself is
working correctly, but the document is in an invalid state. The large
numbers have a black line colour applied. This normally means that the
text object holds internal path copies of the characters because the
FontManager cannot render text with a coloured outline, so the text is
rendered as shapes. The text objects in the file do not have any
associated path outlines, so they behave as if no line colour had been
applied. So, the object is in an inbetween state between not having a
line colour and having a line colour.

Most likely, you did not apply a line colour to the text, i.e., you
did want the line colour to be "none", which is supported by the state
the rest of the text object is in. It seems that the applied line
colour was changed from "None" to Black by a bug when you created the
group. If I ungroup, apply line colour "None" to the text object and
regroup, I end up with the file as it ought to be, and it exports to
PDF correctly.

I am about to release a bug-fix update for various issues raised
recently and I might be able to fix PDF export so it copes with such
abnormal text objects. It will be more difficult to find out what
triggered the spontaneous line colour change.