Re: [artworks] New feature request - select from path

  • From: Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 15:42:16 +0100

In message <7414AABE-068F-429B-9A80-7E9F3598A80A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Gav Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 30 Jul 2013, at 06:25 PM, Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In article <55e8f67253.Dentrassis@mail>, Gavin Crawford
>> <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I would like to make a suggestion for a new feature to be added to
>>> ArtWorks.
>>
>>> I would like a way to select all objects that are within the
>>> boundary of the selected path (shape) object. I don't mean
>>> boundary as in the square bounding box of the path, but the actual
>>> path itself.
>>
>>> So for example, say you had a number of objects on a page, such as
>>> a number of rectangles, some ellipse objects, shapes, text lines
>>> etc and a shape object that was drawn around all of them. I'll
>>> like a way to select all those objects that sat inside the path.
>>> The objects that would be selected could be either above or below
>>> the selected path. In other words think of the path as a complex
>>> marquee to describe what gets selected.
>>
>>> I could imagine the method to be: 1. Select the path object 2.
>>> Menu: Objects -> Select objects within shape 3. you are left with
>>> all the object selected that are within the shape, plus the shape
>>> itself.
>>
>> Sorry Gavin can't quite get my head around this - I have a problem
>> where I can understand things much better when they are illustrated than
>> text alone. I'm sure Martin will let you know whether it is possible.

> I did wonder if my textual description was clear enough. I'll create a
> sample artworks document to show what I mean. I'll post back here when
> I've uploaded it to somewhere on the web for all to see. Will probably
> be sometime tomorrow.

I've now uploaded a very simple example of what I'm suggesting to:
http://www.dentrassis.com/gav/temp/AW_PathSelectionExample.zip

This ArtWorks file shows a number of coloured objects across the page
and a shape (path) object with a blue line. Also there is a mock-up of
the Objects menu showing a new entry called 'Select objects from path'
This leads to a new submenu with the following entries and what would
happen if that menu entry was chosen, when the blue line shape was
selected.

Inside the path -> Only the yellow objects would be selected
Outside the path -> Only the green objects would be selected
Touching the path -> Only the red objects would be selected
Inside and touching the path -> Yellow and red objects selected
Outside and touching the path -> Green and red objects selected

I do realise that I may have confused things here as I usually refer
to these things in my own head as 'paths', when maybe the correct
ArtWorks terminology should be a 'shape', but I mean a closed shape
drawn with the line tools, or another object such as a rectangle, that
has been converted into a shape with the 'Make shapes ^N' option. So i
now realise that my mock-up menu has the wrong wording.

Anyway, I hope that this illustrates my suggestion a bit more clearly,
and I hope it will lead to a discussion as to whether other users
would find it useful enough to encourage Martin to implement it (if at
all possible).

Regards,
Gavin.