Re: [artworks] New feature request - select from path

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 14:42:19 +0200

In message <c85c767753.Dentrassis@mail>
          Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <5373f27629riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In article <4aceea7353.Dentrassis@mail>, Gavin Crawford

>>> I've now uploaded a very simple example of what I'm suggesting to:
>>> http://www.dentrassis.com/gav/temp/AW_PathSelectionExample.zip

> [snip]

>> So much clearer - kind of you to spend time by illustrating the
>> problem. My main confusion I think was the selection method - I think
>> in terms of selection rectangles not an irregular 'marquee'. This
>> would take a bit of getting use to - the selection marquee would be a
>> path, because control points are needed for positioning. The result
>> would be an irregular shape. I wonder how the software would
>> differentiate between a path and a selection.

> Yes, my idea was to use a standard closed shape (path) object, that
> you would draw in the required position using the standard drawing
> tools, such as the line, curve, freehand tools. I may have confused
> things a little by calling it a 'marquee' which suggests that you
> would draw/drag an irregular selection shape with some sort of lasso
> selection tool. That is not what I had in mind. A normal shape object
> would allow all the fine tuning and editing needed - and can still be
> deleted if no longer needed after the operation.

The trouble is that this approach would require the user to create and
later delete an object in the document just in order to perform some
transient UI task (selection) that does not change the document. So,
that approach does not feel right.

A lasso selection tool would be a different thing. Like the Freehand
tool it would simply allow you to draw an arbitrary closed line, and
then the objects (fully) inside it would be selected. That would make
sense from a UI point of view, but the fact remains that this is a
relatively specialized feature that would not be used very often, nor
by many people. Since it would also be quite a lot of work to
implement, I cannot see this ever becoming a top priority.