Re: [artworks] How to close this shape?

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:36:13 +0000 (GMT)

In article <eed6b5a551.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <bae5aca551.boase@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Bernard Boase
>           <b.boase@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I just wrote some DrawScript code which produces a drawfile
> > containing a superellipse shape. On this first attempt I draw the
> > four quadrants separately but the outcome is in fact one path in
> > Draw.

> > On importing that into AW I was surprised that the shape doesn't
> > have an "inside" (to be coloured). The shift-F1 Line/Shape info
> > dialoge says (under Computer area) "not closed", so that must be
> > the reason -- but why?

> There is an important distinction between open shapes (a sequence
> of line and curve elements with an open start and an open end) and
> a closed shape, where the last element is joined to the first. A
> closed path needs to contain an explicit closing element, just
> having the last point coincide with the first is not enough to
> close the shape.

> > Given that such a shape has rather a lot of closely spaced
> > points, it's only possible to investigate the indivdual points
> > near the "joins" (of the quadrants) by first Scaling the shape
> > and then Zooming in maximally. But even doing that fails to make
> > clear why the shape is not closed, or suggest how it might be
> > closed.

> > Can anyone suggest what I might try?

> I would have thought that this should be really obvious once you
> got as far as opening the Line/Shape info dialogue: Select the
> option button labelled "Closed".

Another obvious point is that this dialogue box enables you to fill the
shape by clicking the Filled icon.

Thank you Bernard for raising this question and Martin for making me
aware of this useful dialogue box.

--
Regards

Richard
Wakefield RISC OS Show - Sat 16th April 2011
http://www.wakefieldshow.org.uk