Re: [artworks] Editing WMF files?

  • From: Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 15:27:30 +0000
On 31 Dec 2009, at 14:24, Martin Wuerthner wrote:

> In message <A85778C7-0125-467A-A96B-F552640582DF@xxxxxxxx>
>          Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I have a Windows graph plotting application that only saves as WMF.
>> How can I get the WMF files into ArtWorks or Draw for editing?
>
> Alternatively, you can use ImageFS2 or EasiWriter.

I've tried ImageFS2, but most of the graph then appears in ArtWorks as a bitmap
-- whereas i need a vector image that I can edit

>> Going via Windows/XaraX (and exporting as ArtWorks eps or Draw) isn't
>> ideal, because Xara distorts the aspect ratio of the drawing (I've
>> reported this to Xara, but with minimal response so far).
>
> Did you go through an actual WMF file? I think you will it more
> reliable to Copy in the graphing application and Paste into Xtreme.

I saved the graph as WMF, then did import WMF in Xara. I hadn't thought of copy
and paste - I've just tried that and it works without distortion of the aspect
ratio, altho' the graph appears at about 10X the size of an A4 page and has to
be re-scaled. When subsequently exported from Xara as ArtworksEPS I can drop
the file into AW, but can't seem to edit it (i.e. select paths or path
elements).

> But then, if it is just the aspect ratio, surely a single scaling
> operation in Draw or ArtWorks can correct this anyway?

I suppose ... but that seems a bit laborious.

The best solution I've found so far is ... import the WMF into Adobe
Illustrator CS3 -> export as PDF -> drop PDF into AW -> edit and export as AW
or Draw.

C.B.