Re: [artworks] Artworks, Impression, Aemulor and Iyonix

  • From: Jim Nagel <aw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 12:16:42 GMT

John Rickman Iyonix  wrote on 3 Nov:
> My setup is the same as yours but I don't have the problem you
> describe. Dropping Artworks into a blank frame works.

Ah, in the cool light of day I had a re-read of the !ReadmeMW file
inside !AWrender.  And there is my answer, in a section called
"Impression, Aemulor and AWrender":

     Impression (Style, Publisher or Publisher+) under Aemulor
     (Lite or Pro) on the Iyonix or A9Home cannot make use of
     32-bit versions of AWRender. This is a limitation of
     Aemulor. Future versions of Aemulor may address this issue.
     Until then, some special action has to be taken to convince
     Impression (or other 26-bit programs with ArtWorks support)
     to display ArtWorks files.

(Apparently Aemulor has not yet addressed this issue, at least in the
Aemulor Pro 2.32 version I have, dated 2005.  Could somebody check in
the very recent versions that have come out for Beagleboard and Pi?)

     The way to do this is to load a copy of AWRender that claims
     to be 26-bit only. This can then be emulated by Aemulor and
     used by Impression (or other emulated 26-bit programs that
     use AWRender). Such a copy has been provided as AWRender26
     in the RMStore directory.

     To load it, add the following line to the beginning of
     Impression's !Run file:

     If "<ArtWorksModules$Path>" <> "" Then RMLoad
     ArtWorksModules:AWRender26

     If you have other emulated 26-bit programs that use
     AWRender, you need to add the above line to their !Run
     files, too.

I followed MartinW's instrux, added the line to !Publish+.!Run, and
the problem duly disappeared.  I probably knew all this four years ago
when I was using the Iyonix more, but had forgotten it when I only
recently brought the Iyo back into service and installed various
updates that have happened in the interim.

Shows that it pays to reread instructions once in a while, even for
familiar software:  there's always some new trick to pick up.

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
   Abbey Press   32 Norbins Rd        (01458) 83 3603