[AR] enviro impact of propellant choices? \ Re: ORS-4 ("Super Strypi") Hawaii launch ...

  • From: David Weinshenker <daze39@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 07:51:08 -0800

On 11/05/2015 04:16 PM, BrianK ABQ wrote:

But these days it's not surprising (sadly) to see a minimal enviro
factor run the show.

So how much of an enviro factor is the HCl from AP motors actually?

I mean, we know that dumping lots of chlorine into the upper atmosphere
is bad for the ozone layer (aside from acid rain down low) - in terms
of actual problems, how significant is the quantity of chlorine that
would be emitted (or not emitted), depending on whether rocketry were
to abandon AP as the solid oxidizer of widespread choice?

-dave w