[AR] Re: [UK OFFICIAL] Re: Re[2]: Re: ORS-4 ("Super Strypi") Hawaii launc...

  • From: BrianK ABQ <cielobenazul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 17:16:53 -0700

Does anyone know the "guts" of the propellant?

Besides the phase change problem with AN and it's much lower Isp; you
need to (unless things have changed a lot) use Mg as the fuel, not
Al. And Mg needs extra processing (coating with linseed oil or such,
well known from pyro stuff). Otherwise it can absorb moisture during
storage and ignite! That would be bad for things. Then you have the
constant worry (PSAN or not) that thermal cycling will cause AN to
undergo it's annoying phase changes thus compromising propellant
integrity.

But these days it's not surprising (sadly) to see a minimal enviro
factor run the show.

And dang, ebven though I was right there didn't get to see the
launch. We're here for our 25th anniversary and she was "damned sure"
not going to waste time for rocket stuff. Ahhhh...

Brian

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Troy Prideaux <GEORDI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would personally be surprised if we do see a significant transition to AN
based solids. I’ve been involved in studies on AN solids and have followed
some amateurs have a crack at transitioning to AN propellants from AP
solids. The biggest concern I have with AN composites is the uniformity of
the propellant regression or at least obtaining the consistency of a uniform
regression. Too often I’ve witnessed significant stability issues with
extremely “bubbly” surface regression that’s likely caused from surface
penetration of the flame-front which is often a consequence of dry
packing/processing of solid propellants.

Motors operating on quite lowish chamber pressures appear to often avoid
these issues, but as the chamber pressure is increased, these issues become
more frequent and even with propellants that have been meticulously
processed (eg. Pressed under a multi tonne press) to avoid such issues have
yielded hit & miss consistency when operated under moderate-high chamber
pressures.

What’s more, the claims of an industry transition from AP solids to AN
based solids have been constantly provided by advocates over… well… decades!
Probably as long as proponents of SCRAMETS have been boasting their tech be
the next big thing for everything involving air breathing missiles to high
speed transportation. There have been countless studies and plenty of small
government grants/programs for AN proponents to provide a working propulsion
system of usable scale.

I truly hope someone cracks that nut one day, but I’m not holding my
breath.

Troy

From: "Anthony Cesaroni" <acesaroni@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, November 04, 2015 2:05 pm
To: <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ken,

I understand that, hence the emoticon. ORS spent close to $45M to get to
that launch. Pretty soon you’re talking real money for a simple rocket.
;-)

Anthony J. Cesaroni

President/CEO

Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace