[AR] Re: Thrust Chamber Manufacture

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 16:14:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020, Jonathan Adams wrote:

So my question now is: for a small regeneratively cooled engine (like the LR-101, mentioned already), with consideration to all the stresses it must endure, compressive and otherwise, what are some of the more appropriate options for manufacturing (particularly on a budget)? ...

The most appropriate option is something *you* can afford to do repeatedly, because you're almost certainly going to need multiple design iterations to make it work, and you'll lose chambers while finding out what changes you need. You need to design with this in mind; if making (say) ten chambers sounds impossibly expensive, you need to redesign for lower cost. Think cheap and easy, not awesome high-tech beautiful.

Is CNC milling/turning a feasible option for this kind of work, or do chamber geometries complicate this, making another manufacturing process more appropriate?

Others may differ, but my take is that if you even need CNC, you're thinking too fancy and making overly-optimistic assumptions about how many chambers you'll need to make. (Exception: if you have, or plan to acquire, *your own* CNC machine tools, that's a bit different.) Preferably you should be able to make it, yourself, with a manual lathe and mill.

As I said before: people made successful rocket engines before CNC. That's the example you want to follow, not cost-is-no-object professionals on government contracts.