[AR] Re: Thrust Chamber Manufacture

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 15:46:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020, George Herbert wrote:

That said, many many people in group here have designed and built regeneratively cooled motors either professionally or as amateurs.  It’s different and harder but achievable.

That said :-), I'll repeat a suggestion I've made before: if you really want to go regenerative, design the plumbing so you can break the fluid connection between cooling jacket and injector, and do your early runs with *water* cooling -- lots of water! You can back off on the cooling flow gradually, once you're getting stable steady-state runs, watching for chamber damage as you do. When you've got it down to where the numbers match fuel cooling, *then* you can start running regenerative. This lets you do your early thermal testing (and any necessary design changes) in a more forgiving environment, where you don't burn out an expensive chamber on every run.

Designing your project around the assumption that your very first chamber will work perfectly is a recipe for disappointment and failure. Look for ways to work up to your goal gradually.