[AR] Re: Super Strypi Raw Video

  • From: "Greg Zsidisin" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "gregzsidisin" for DMARC)
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 13:35:34 +0000 (UTC)

Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 23:19:40 -0700
Subject: [AR] Re: [UK OFFICIAL] Re: Re[2]: Re: ORS-4 ("Super Strypi")
From: BrianK ABQ <cielobenazul@xxxxxxxxx>

A question on the propellant. I only found one article that included
any details and it mentioned an "ammonium nitrate blend". Is that
correct? I'm a solid fuel guy, amatuer but hard at it. I've found by
both research and experience that AN composite propellant is quite
inferior to it's ammonium perchlorate cousin. Was the article wrong?
Did someone figure out a way to soup up ANCP? Or is it a "green
thing?" as ANCP doesn't make HCl ?

Thanks,

Brian

FWIW, I worked for Wickman Spacecraft and Propulsion some years back.  John
Wickman has been a proponent of AN-magnesium as a lower-cost propellant.
However, that factor has since been offset by higher magnesium prices.  The
lack of HCl in the exhaust is another plus.
John and his former partner, the late Adolph Oberth (son of Hermann), worked on
an AN alternative to Shuttle SRB propellant, and apparently succeeded at
matching its performance.
Greg