[AR] Re: SpaceX Single Stage to Orbit -wings

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 19:42:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

[re F9 first stage:] Vertical landing under rocket power was retrofitted into the system after early attempts made it clear that the splashdown concept simply wouldn't work -- the stages broke up during reentry.)

Do you mean the first stages broke up on splashdown? Not meaning to be pernickety, but if it broke up on reentry, wouldn't the vertical landing stages break up too?

My understanding (with the caveat that SpaceX is not exactly talkative about things that go wrong!) is that the breakups were on reentry, or at least mostly so. The vertical-landing stages do a braking burn just before reentry, to reduce aerothermal and aerodynamic loads. They also probably benefit from considerable accumulated experience guiding tweaks to the design.

Didn't they expect that?

Nope. As of early 2011, they'd taken the parachutes off the first stages in favor of more telemetry hardware, to get a clearer picture of just what was going on during reentry.

Though vertical landing under rocket power does seem to work for them, I wonder about human landings - I know Soyuz uses last-minute braking rockets, but perhaps that is a bit different somehow?

It's different in one respect: as I understand it, a Soyuz landing with a complete braking-rocket failure is considered survivable for the crew. Not pleasant, and possibly injurious, but not fatal.

As any Harrier pilot will tell you :-), a propulsive landing is actually better than a runway landing in some ways: "it's easier to stop and then land, than to land and then try to stop". You do need a fallback of some kind in case of a major propulsion failure (which might just be crushable structure etc. to absorb impact -- helicopters do a lot of that).

Or did the Russians get it right all that long time ago - on reflection it doesn't seem that difficult, get radar height, differentiate to get radar vertical velocity, consult precomputed table of height/velocity, fire rockets according to table.

If memory serves, they actually use a gamma-ray (!) ground-proximity detector -- immune to interference, immune to bad weather, insensitive to the exact nature of the surface.