[AR] Re: SpaceX Single Stage to Orbit -wings

  • From: Peter Fairbrother <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 17:56:30 +0100

On 02/06/2019 05:57, Henry Spencer wrote:

[re F9 first stage:] Vertical landing under rocket power was retrofitted into the system after early attempts made it clear that the splashdown concept simply wouldn't work -- the stages broke up during reentry.)

Do you mean the first stages broke up on splashdown? Not meaning to be pernickety, but if it broke up on reentry, wouldn't the vertical landing stages break up too?

Didn't they expect that? Tie the useful bits together with some wire and a float ...

Though vertical landing under rocket power does seem to work for them, I wonder about human landings - I know Soyuz uses last-minute braking rockets, but perhaps that is a bit different somehow?

Or did the Russians get it right all that long time ago - on reflection it doesn't seem that difficult, get radar height, differentiate to get radar vertical velocity, consult precomputed table of height/velocity, fire rockets according to table.

Peter Fairbrother