[AR] Re: Quiet times, so OT question

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 19:38:36 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Dec 2022, roxanna Mason wrote:

Concerning small rockets, I think the composite tanks of the [Electron] are more expensive than metal tanks, correct me if I;m wrong.They use composite because they have no choice if they're going to have any practical payload.

You might want to compare Electron to Diamant A, the first version of France's original orbital launcher, which was roughly the same size and definitely did have a useful payload (especially by modern standards, although it looked small at the time). Not as much payload as Electron, and it needed three stages to do it, but no composites (and no pumps either).