[AR] Re: Mriya indeed gone

  • From: J Farmer <jfarmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 12:39:53 -0500

On 3/4/2022 10:27 AM, Henry Vanderbilt wrote:

Very likely collateral.  Airport was taken by Russian heliborne forces at start of this mess, taken under fire by local Ukrainian forces, then retaken in a day-long back-and-forth battle by a Ukrainian mobile reaction force, then later re-retaken by the Russian ground advance from the north. LOTS of shooting going on in the course of all that.

I have to wonder why it wasn't flown out of harm's way before all this.  Under maintenance?  Possibly insufficient warning though - the airport seizure was apparently an opening attempt at grabbing an airhead near the capital, so it may well have been one of the opening moves of the war.

Under deep maintenance.  My understanding is that one or more engines were disassembled and waiting for hard to obtain parts.

John