[AR] Re: Lunar GPS navigation.

  • From: David McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 09:05:48 -0500

On 7/31/2019 3:09 PM, Henry Spencer wrote:

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019, David McMillan wrote:

...given how unstable Lunar orbits tend to be...

As Bill has already pointed out, it's not quite that bad. Especially since we now have complete lunar gravity maps, giving rather better orbit prediction than we used to have.

    Well, from what (little) I understand of current GPS systems, they're /really/ vulnerable to even tiny changes in their position/velocity -- or, rather, the accuracy of the guidance at the receiver's end scales with something like the square or cube (or worse) of the positional error of each satellite.  So I wasn't expressing concern over the "LGPS" birds falling out of orbit, but rather how much worse the accuracy effects would be, compared to GPS/Galileo/GLONASS/etc.

    My (purely intuitive) off-the-cuff take was that an LGPS would have a greater need for high-accuracy "ground references" and regular ephemeris updates than a terrestrial GPS, all other factors being equal.  OTOH, the underlying technologies /have/ improved since the '80s, so there might be opportunities to compensate using less "drifty" onboard clocks, higher accuracy sat-to-sat ranging, and a "swarm of cubesats" type approach with lots of averaging and rejection on the receivers (as I think Uwe was alluding to upthread).