[AR] Re: Lunar GPS navigation.

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 13:08:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019, Robert Steinke wrote:

You know someone will eventually come along and say, "hey, with this I can do long baseline radio telescope interferometry with Earth!  It just needs nanosecond clock synchronization."

"Sounds neat!  I assume you brought your checkbook?"

(Actually, for VLBI it's not necessary that all the clocks chime noon at precisely the same nanosecond -- which is not really a meaningful concept over long distances anyway -- it suffices that they are stable to suitably high precision, and that the offset between them can be determined to suitably high precision.)