[AR] Re: H2O2 mixture ratio - feature or bug?

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 11:57:21 -0700

A google search on - phil bellmore rocket - turns this up: http://osdir.com/ml/technology.erps/2001-09/msg00276.html

According to someone who spoke with his family, he was NOT mixing peroxide and alcohol, he was testing a rocket motor with peroxide and ethanol. He did not die immediately of his injuries, but went to the hospital with good prognosis for recovery but his heart stopped during surgery.

"Mixing peroxide and alcohol" was apparently a garbled initial report of the incident from earlier in the same discussion thread.

On 7/1/2015 10:25 AM, Ben Brockert wrote:

Do you have a citation for him mixing alcohol and peroxide? I haven't
found one, and based on his experience it doesn't seem like something
he'd do. I found one 'apparently' stated by a third party, but that's
no sort of proof.

He had a distillation setup, and those are generally more dangerous
than the peroxide itself.

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Mark C Spiegl <mark.spiegl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Henry Vanderbilt wrote:
I recall someone working with peroxide-alcohol died from an unignited mix

detonating. In Houston? I don't recall the guy's name, or anything more

about the circumstances.

Phil Bellmore
League City TX (Houston)
He was mixing alcohol and peroxide