[AR] Re: GPS...

  • From: Wyatt Rehder <wyatt.rehder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 13:53:03 -0900

Something similar was done on SRP4 and SRP5 (
http://spacegrant.alaska.edu/content/srp5), they had a radio on-board
collect the raw GPS data, which was then sent via telemetry to the ground.
Then it was processed on the ground to determine the rocket's position. I
can't remember how effective it was, as they were tracking the rocket with
Radar as well. But I think it did work.

No CoCom issues as long as the rocket itself doesn't know it's position
through the GPS.

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Paul Breed <paul@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Someone on this list volunteered to help me with my GPS quest....
They will l remain unnamed. (Feel free to name yourself and make anything
you want about this public
I don't want to publish your name without your permission).

Currently he has a RTL-SDR with improved TXCO recording raw GPS data on an
intel compute stick and then turning the raw data recording into position
data.

This is a box of parts <$200 that should be able to record raw GPS with no
ITAR or CoCom limits for after the fact flight verification. I hope to fly
this experiment next week end, when it all works it will be public and open.

Paul