[AR] Re: Falcon 9 landing 050316

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 17:17:34 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016, John Dom wrote:

...My point was I assumed the unstable geometry of the long stick & lander legs were again the culprit of collapse. The distance between the LM legs was almost as big as it's hight.

Remember that the LM had a lot of mass up high because of the ascent stage and crew, while a Falcon stage with its tanks essentially empty will probably have its center of mass quite low, near the engines. That is, the difference is not as large as you might think at first glance.