[AR] Re: Explosive Hydroforming (was Re: Re: F9 Engine Incident)

  • From: Paul Mueller <paul.mueller.iii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 16:23:06 -0600

So if I'm seeing this right, the dome is formed by pressure alone, not
requiring a backing die (which certainly simplifies machining)....? I
suppose you round over the edges of the backing plate so it doesn't form
sharp edges where the dome starts. Maybe you don't care if you will be
cutting out the domed part to weld to a cylinder anyway.

Also, would a pressure washer pump work for this (do they even go to 4500
psi?), and if not, what did you use?

Thanks,

Paul M