[AR] Re: Explosive Hydroforming (was Re: Re: F9 Engine Incident)

  • From: Charles Pooley <ckpooley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 14:52:48 -0700 (PDT)

Jon:  This is an old sketch of the jig for the domes for the 1994 rocket
design.  They were formed at 4500 psi with water forming 1/8" thick 6061 T6
aluminum at room temperature.  Each cycle was a few sec duration with manual
control of water pressure.

I found 4500 psi made the domes just under 1 inch deep, and results were
consistent from dome to dome.  Made about 30 total./  With 1/16", less than
1000 psi made a dome less deep, before getting the high pressure pump.

I accidentally blew one at 7500 psi by not watching the pressure build-up and
opening a relief valve quickly enough.  Result was conical, with a torn opening
at the jig opening.

With a test square of aluminum with 1/2" grid painted on, the dome showed very
even stretching.

A friend made a thin dome 22 inch dia and used air at 120 psi.   This method
works well, the 5 min time for each being mainly that to undo bolts and install
another 5" square of aluminum.  No explosives needed.

Works so well I plan this for the 8" or 10" domes for Microlaunchers.

Charles Pooley