[AR] Re: Destructive testing and reliability

  • From: "rcktman" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rcktman" for DMARC)
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 13:40:18 -0400

Walker and Liplo (sp?) developed their analysis after the Apollo escape system
worked in six out of six tests. If you have no failures in testing then theirs'
is the best approach of which I am aware.

If you have a test failure then standard Bernouli statistics apply. If you have
a test failure and fix the cause, you can use Bayesian statistics, which will
give a slightly better answer.

Given a small sample, you will never be able to creditably claim even 90%
reliability unless you are willing to also accept near zero percent
confidence...which I can't recommend, you'll get laughed at by the
knowledgeable....

Bill

Sent from my Commodore 64.

From: neil.jaschinski@xxxxxx
To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi James,

just some quick ideas to your problem:

- Design your part for the load you want to handle it later.

- Put some safety margin on it, like 1,2 times thicker or so.

- Test it until it is breaking. See if the failure load is higher than

the designed load. If yes, that's it.

You can run some statistic with some more samples and test. You can also

calculate with the standard deviation of the failure loads and 3 sigma

span if this is still outside of designed load. If no, put more safety

margin on it and repeat the procedure. If it is in 3 sigma, than 99,9%

will not fail.

Greetings

Neil

Am 28.10.2015 um 16:29 schrieb James Padfield:

Hi,

Ok, the application I am asking about is not strictly rocketry-related,

but I know similar topics have been discussed here before, and I feel

the answer to my question may be useful to some on here. If you think

it is is too OT, please tell me (politely!) and I will take my query

somewhere else...

I am trying to work out how I can relate statistics on reliability to

the number of tests conducted.

For example, let's say I test ten items (destructively), and all ten

items pass the test. What can I conclude about it's reliability?

Obviously I can't conclude that said item is 100% reliable on the basis

of ten tests... What if I test it 20 times? I assume there is an

equation to work these things out...

Ok, let's make it a bit more complicated...

Say I deliberately make my ten test items slightly outside the spec that

I would use for manufacturing. For example, the tolerances on the wall

thickness of a hollow aluminium cylinder is 2 +/- 0.05 mm. If I make my

ten test items 2.10 mm thick, and again all ten items pass the test, can

I put a number on the reliability?

Thanks for any help!

James.