[AR] Re: CubeSat V2

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 20:06:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019, adam paul wrote:

...Henry I know you said that one of the big issues with cubesats is
that 3U just isn't enough space to do anything meaningful.

I think that comment referred to 1U. 3U is still rather cramped, but you can squeeze a significant range of payloads in there if you work at it.

If you only had to put the payload in that 3u space you could do a lot more...

Yes, not having to worry about cramming the basic spacecraft systems in there as well would make a big difference.

the advantage I see of keeping with the cubesat form factor is that it creates less risk for the customer for using a new standard, as they can switch back to the cubesat standard during the development process without too much difficulty.

Well, except then they're back to the rather severe volume/mass constraints! However, it's not unthinkable to build a 3U-ish payload that could fly either in the sort of thing you propose, or as the payload half of a 6U cubesat.

Another advantage of cubesat-ish form factors is that they're familiar and there is a considerable amount of potentially-useful hardware designed to fit into them. As I understand it, Nanoracks has had considerable success using a cubesat form factor for payloads that go *inside* ISS.

...What problems might arise with having
several 'unknown' payloads sharing a common power and data bus?

You definitely want at least switches in between the bus and the payloads, so that a misbehaving payload (e.g., power bus shorted due to latchup in a power component) doesn't take the whole thing down. Full isolation, so that the payloads don't share a ground connection either, is a bit more work but probably a good idea.

Isolated DC-DC converters, for shipping power across an isolation barrier (with or without a change of voltage), are already off-the-shelf products. It's not hard to isolate a serial line or a CAN bus, with off-the-shelf solutions often available, and modern (twisted-pair) Ethernet has full DC isolation built in already.