[AR] Re: Blue's joyrides to space

  • From: David McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:11:28 -0500

    Now I'm wondering if anyone has ever done an analysis on how important the Barnstorming Era was (or wasn't) instrumental in bringing along the aviation age.  And also wondering if there was similar pearl-clutching about people "wasting" money on "joyrides."

    I suppose one big difference is that a joyride with a barnstormer was relatively cheap, whereas space-hops are still priced at a level that only 10%-ers can reasonably afford. ...maybe that makes Blue and VG more equivalent to the rides the Montgolfier brothers used to give to wealthy patrons?  That's a depressing thought.

On 12/21/2022 10:57 PM, Rand Simberg wrote:

Depends on your definition of space. Jonathan McDowell has made a pretty good case that the altitude should be 80 clicks, not 100.

On 12/21/2022 6:46 PM, James Fackert wrote:
Accurately speaking, they do not go to space, and they do not stay  at max altitude long enough to call it a "tour".